H2 Recorders: Using them as USB microphones
The H2 recorder available in the AV Pool and Infolab not only works as a stand alone recorder, but also as a USB microphone for programs like Audacity. This can save time and trouble in transferring the files and dealing with space limitations on the H2 itself. There are however a few quick steps you need to follow to use the H2 in this mode.
- Connect the H2 with the USB cord to the computer.
- Power on the H2 - ensure you have constant power either through charged batteries or the AC adapter.
- Select Menu > USB > AUDIO I/F > CONNECT - You should now see the Audio Input monitor on the screen.
- The on-screen display shows you the audio levels. If you press menu you will have new options for recording modes. The default settings are best for speech.
- Open Audacity, QuickTime 7 or similar program on your computer.
- In Audacity, go to preferences and select Input Device. The H2 should appear as an option. If not, make sure it is connected and in USB mode then restart Audacity.
- In QuickTime 7, select the H2 as the input source under Preferences > Recording > Microphone, then open a new audio recording. If the H2 does not appear, make sure it is connected and in USB mode then restart QuickTime 7.