The LSS Library curates and provides access to physical and digital media collections, and digitizes media on demand for instructional use in L&S courses. For Spring 2021, our services are available remotely as we continue to reduce in-person services for the safety of patrons and staff.
Learning Support Services supports the streaming of video files for current L&S courses. Enrolled students can access streaming media on any personal device via an internet connection. Instructors can also embed streaming video files within Canvas courses.
Instructors of current College of Letters & Sciences courses
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
- LSS manages the digitizing of DVD/VHS, hosting, delivery, and troubleshooting.
- Video content is available for any online device (mobile, tablet, etc.) in most current web browsers.
- Provides access to video materials not currently available thru the UW-Madison Libraries subscription streaming databases.
- Provides access to streaming media limited to enrolled students and only for the semester’s duration.
- The item requested to be streamed is in support of a current UW-Madison L&S course.
- The item is owned by a UW-Madison library or an otherwise legally obtained copy by the instructor.
- The streamed media files reside on a server controlled and monitored by Learning Support Services.
- Access to streaming titles will become unavailable at the end of the current semester.
- Instructors must request streaming items for each semester, specifying titles and courses to be authorized.
Please Note: The streamed media link is NetID protected. Authorization is based on course enrollment as provided by the UW-Madison Registrar’s Office.
Requests may require up to 2 weeks.
How to embed the links in Canvas:
No charge for College of Letters and Sciences instructional staff.
Audiovisual materials (DVDs, VHS, CDs, etc.) are available for checkout through our campus library system. UW-Madison affiliates can request items from our campus, the UW System, and other libraries through Inter-Library Loan.
The UW Libraries also subscribe to streaming media databases, which UW-Madison affiliates can access with a NetID.
To search for physical items held in a campus or UW System Library, use the Library Catalog. You can limit your search results by both format and language, if you are looking for films in a specific language to support your teaching.
Search UW Libraries Media Collections
To search the UW Libraries streaming media databases, see Databases by Type: Audio/Video.
Foreign Language Digital Audio Collection
LSS provides public access to streaming audio files in foreign languages. These files may be used for free for personal or instructional use
LSS Staff Contact
Stephanie Zalewski is our Graduate Assistant Librarian. Please use the form below to contact Stephanie with questions about using multimedia in your courses, whether in person or online.