L&S LSS provides pre-production, principal-production, and post-production services and facilities for instructional audio & video projects. Fees apply for professional services, but we offer self-service options whenever possible.
Faculty, staff, and graduate teaching assistants working on instructional projects in the College of Letters & Science.
299 Van Hise Hall (Post-Production and Staff Offices)
368 Van Hise Hall
248 Van Hise Hall
By appointment. Please allow at least 2-weeks notice when requesting the 248 Studio. The video studio is not available for self-service.
High-quality audio and video that meets broadcast standards tends to have a longer useful life, lends consistency from lecture to lecture, and generally contributes to the quality of the student experience.
An initial consultation and an orientation are required for first-time users of our studio space or when checking out production kits.
- Schedule a consultation with a member of our Educational Consulting Team
- Inquire about the Self-Recording Studio
- See about potential costs with a Project Estimate Request
- Lecture recording workstation (Retina iMac & Screenflow for Mac)
- Zoom H6n recorder
- Studio Projects large diaphragm condenser microphones (Pair)
- Sound isolated booth
- 4K document camera
The heart of L&S studio production is 368 Van Hise Hall. This is a relatively flexible environment that can accommodate multi-camera recordings, live streams, webinars, lecture recordings, interviews, and podcast sessions.
- Blackmagic HD Studio Cameras (3)
- ATEM Blackmagic Design video switcher
- Retina iMac workstation
- Black background/acoustic curtains
- Canon XA10 HD camcorder (10x optical zoom)
- Sennheiser EW 100 G3 wireless lavalier microphone
- Lightweight tripod with fluid video head
- High capacity batteries (~200 minutes)
- Over-the-ear noise isolating headphones
DSLR Filmmaker Kit
- Canon T6i DSLR (includes two extra batteries)
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
- Canon 18-55mm Zoom Lens (Max aperture f/5.6)
- Compatible with EF and EF-S lenses
- RodeLink RX wireless microphone system
A sample portfolio of projects can be found at: L&S Learning Support Services on YouTube
LSS has established two priorities regarding media development that may impact the scheduling of studio space and equipment (especially during periods of peak demand). We prioritize projects as follows:
- Projects that use multimedia as part of ongoing LSS and College initiatives (e.g. Online Course Development)
- Instructional multimedia developed within the College of Letters & Science, and intended for use by students in UW-Madison for-credit courses
Requests that fall outside these priorities may be taken on by the media development staff on a case-by-case basis, depending on scheduling and capacity.
L&S projects are generally discounted 50%. However, due to the wide variety of projects and funding categories on campus, please contact us for a estimate based on your specific situation.