The LSS Library curates and provides access to physical and digital media collections, and digitizes media on demand for instructional use in L&S courses.
LSS Media Collection at Van Hise
The Learning Support Services Media Collection provides audiovisual materials for over 100 foreign languages and other Letters & Science subjects.
Checking out Media
Items circulate for 14 days to anyone with a valid UW ID. The Media Collection is located in the Van Hise Commons and Room 259A. Please ask staff at either service desk for assistance in checking out media.
Full List of Videos
Alphabetical list of all DVDs and videos (PDF) available at Learning Support Services.
Foreign Feature Film Guides
Annotated guides in PDF are available, many with annotations to guide film selection.
The Media Catalog is a complete and current title only listing of all the audiotapes, DVDs, videos, and software available at Learning Support Services’ Learning Lab. The catalog is arranged by language and subject.
The general UW-Madison Library Catalog can be found here.
Foreign Language Digital Audio Collection
LSS provides public access to streaming audio files in foreign languages. These files may be used for free for personal or instructional use
Learning Support Services supports the streaming of video files for current L&S courses. Authenticated users can stream video files on any personal device via an internet connection. The files can also be viewed on Canvas course sites.
Instructors of current College of Letters & Sciences courses
Van Hise Hall, rm. 279 and online
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
- LSS manages the digitizing of DVD/VHS, hosting, delivery, and troubleshooting.
- Video content is available for any online device (mobile, tablet, etc.) in most current web browsers.
- Provides access to video materials not currently available thru the UW-Madison Libraries subscription streaming databases.
- The item requested to be streamed is in support of a current UW-Madison L&S course.
- The item is owned by a UW-Madison library or an otherwise legally obtained copy by the instructor.
- The streamed media files reside on a server controlled and monitored by Learning Support Services.
- Access to streaming titles will become unavailable at the end of the current semester.
Please Note: The streamed media link is netid protected. Authorization is based on course enrollment as provided by the UW-Madison Registrar’s Office.
Email Mary Prochniak at Learning Support Services.
Requests may require up to 2 weeks.
HOW TO EMBED THE LINKS IN CANVAS:
No charge for College of Letters and Sciences instructional staff.
LSS STAFF CONTACT
LSS STAFF CONTACT
Mary Prochniak is our LSS Staff Librarian. Mary coordinates all of our library services, working with other LSS colleagues and employing several student workers to help manage our circulating media collection. Please contact Mary with questions about using multimedia in your courses, whether in person or online.