The LSS Library curates and provides access to physical and digital media collections, and digitizes media on demand for instructional use in L&S courses. For Fall 2020, our services are available remotely as we reduce in-person services for the safety of patrons and staff.
Learning Support Services supports the streaming of video files for current L&S courses. Authorized users can access streaming media on any personal device via an internet connection. Instructors can also embed streaming video files within Canvas courses.
Instructors of current College of Letters & Sciences courses
Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
- LSS manages the digitizing of DVD/VHS, hosting, delivery, and troubleshooting.
- Video content is available for any online device (mobile, tablet, etc.) in most current web browsers.
- Provides access to video materials not currently available thru the UW-Madison Libraries subscription streaming databases.
- Provides access to streaming media limited to enrolled students and only for the semester’s duration.
- The item requested to be streamed is in support of a current UW-Madison L&S course.
- The item is owned by a UW-Madison library or an otherwise legally obtained copy by the instructor.
- The streamed media files reside on a server controlled and monitored by Learning Support Services.
- Access to streaming titles will become unavailable at the end of the current semester.
- Instructors must request streaming items for each semester, specifying titles and courses to be authorized.
Please Note: The streamed media link is NetID protected. Authorization is based on course enrollment as provided by the UW-Madison Registrar’s Office.
Requests may require up to 2 weeks.
HOW TO EMBED THE LINKS IN CANVAS:
No charge for College of Letters and Sciences instructional staff.
LSS Media Collection at Van Hise
The Learning Support Services Media Collection provides audiovisual materials for over 100 foreign languages and other Letters & Science subjects.
Checking out Media
The Media Collection located in the Van Hise Commons and Room 259A is currently closed and items are not available to circulate. However, items in our collection can be digitized for use in classes this semester.
Items in our media collection are discoverable in the Library Catalog.
Search the LSS Media Collection
You can also refine an existing Library Catalog search to only include materials at a specific campus library or in a specific information. Check out a few quick tips for catalog searching from LSS.
Foreign Feature Film Guides
To browse our collection, please consult our guides by language or region below.
|African films||Arabic films||Dutch films||East Asian films|
|French films||German films||Hebrew films||Italian films|
|Persian films||Polish films||Portuguese films||Russian films|
|Scandinavian films||South Asian films||Spanish films||Turkish films|
Foreign Language Digital Audio Collection
LSS provides public access to streaming audio files in foreign languages. These files may be used for free for personal or instructional use
LSS STAFF CONTACT
Stephanie Zalewski is our Graduate Assistant Librarian. Please use the form below to contact Stephanie with questions about using multimedia in your courses, whether in person or online.