The LSS InfoLab (464 Van Hise Hall) is a computer lab and a place where students, faculty and staff can check out laptops, video cameras, audio recorders, and other equipment. It contains 45 dual boot Mac computers, two scanners, a black and white laser printer, and a color laser printer. See a current list of software available in the InfoLab.
Printing is available with WisCard only. You can bring in your own laptop to print a document. There are instructions to print wirelessly from your laptop in the LSS InfoLab.
Equipment for checkout:
The LSS InfoLab participates in the Equipment Checkout program, which provides a variety of equipment for checkout. More information about the equipment loaning program and equipment availability across campus is found at http://ecs.library.wisc.edu. Items available include:
- MacBook Air laptops
- Dell Latitude laptops
- Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters (for connecting MacBook Airs to classroom projectors)
- Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters (for connecting MacBook Airs to external displays)
- 2 videocameras (Canon Vixia HF R80)
- 2 handheld audio recorders (Zoom H2)
- 2 DVD Drives (regions 1 and 2)
- 1 large tripods (for use with the videocameras)
Our lab attendants do not receive special training on the software in the lab. However, feel free to ask them for assistance – if they can help, they will. You should also check the FAQ page, and the help files included with the software. For other questions, or to obtain the tips or handout material in an alternate format than provided on this web site, contact the individuals below.
More information about the InfoLab network of computers labs, software/hardware availability, and contact information for other InfoLabs can be found at https://it.wisc.edu/services/computer-labs-infolabs/.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
The InfoLab is open for the 8-week summer session from June 17 through August 9, 2019.
Summer InfoLab hours: 10:00am – 4:00m, Monday – Friday
Equipment for checkout
The Equipment Checkout System website can show you availability of equipment in any InfoLab, due dates for all equipment (when you log in with your NetID), checkout policies and an FAQ.
Each student is limited to 20 laptop checkouts per semester. Research shows that this affects about 1% of the users, but makes significantly more laptops available. If you wish to have a laptop for the entire semester, DoIT has a variety of laptops available for daily, weekly, monthly and semester-long rental at very reasonable prices.
- InfoLab equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis, with the exception of College Library, which maintains a limited supply of equipment available via reservation. Visit the Checkout FAQ for information about College Library’s reservation policy.
- Equipment can not be renewed. You can however, check out a different piece of the same equipment if one is available. For example: You return a laptop. You can check out a different laptop if there is one available, but you are not allowed to renew the original laptop.
- You may not check out identical types of equipment from two different InfoLabs at the same time. For example, you can’t check out a laptop at College and at LSS at the same time.
- You must present two forms of ID at the time of checkout. One form must be your UW ID.
- All equipment must be returned to the Infolab that it was checked out from.
- The late fee for equipment is $20/day. Other fees, registrar holds, and legal action may result.
- You may be held responsible for the replacement or cost of damaged or lost equipment.
- If a laptop or any of its components is not returned, it will be considered theft of University property and a police investigation will be initiated.
- Violations of the above policies will be grounds to refuse future service.
Policies are also available at the Equipment Checkout System website.
InfoLab Computing FAQ
Questions or comments about the LSS InfoLab can be addressed to InfoLab@lss.wisc.edu. The phone number for the LSS InfoLab is 262-4575. This number will reach the lab attendant working in the InfoLab.